In this episode, Zaira Pirzada speaks to Harlan Carvey, Senior Incident Responder, R&D at Huntress. During the episode, they talk about how today's current incident response business model can be improved to promote better threat intelligence gathering and collaboration.
- Harlan explains that in twenty years of incident response work, every job has been unique.
- He shines light on the state of cybercrime from the responder and attacker perspectives.
- The importance of collaboration between incident responders and threat intelligence professionals.
- How teams can improve their effectiveness by sharing intelligence gathered during incident response.
- Why it's important for incident responders to recognize that even if the hardware and software are the same as a previous job, many other factors make each job unique.
- How he has seen defensive techniques and practices from years ago find application in modern incident response.
- Harlan’s predictions on the future of the cybercrime underground, including how shortcomings we see in cybersecurity today are likely to continue until there is a financial incentive for end users to demand better.